Selectmen’s Meeting October 3, 2022
Town Hall, 3rd Floor Auditorium, 30 Martin Street
This meeting will be conducted in-person, with the public welcome, but will also be made available to the public via remote participation to the greatest extent possible. Members of the public who wish to listen to and/or view the meeting may do so via two-way Video Call (with the option to show yourself on video or not and with the option to use a phone to call in, for two-way audio-only). Please note that while an option for remote attendance and/or participation is being provided as a courtesy to the public, the meeting/hearing will not be suspended or terminated if technological problems interrupt the virtual broadcast or its quality, unless otherwise required by law. Members of the public with particular interest in any specific item on this agenda should make plans for in-person versus virtual attendance accordingly.
The link to the video conference is: https://join.freeconferencecall.com/bzubricki, and, if prompted, the on-line meeting ID is bzubricki. Depending on your device and software installed, you may be able to join directly, by web browser, or, you may have to download the application directly (you will be shown that choice when you go to the above link). You should be joined in mute mode. However, if that is not the case, please click on the audio icon to mute your microphone. You can choose to activate your camera to show yourself, or not. The camera should be off, by default, when you join.
If you do not have a digital device to join via the link above, you can also dial a telephone number and be directly connected to the meeting, via two-way audio only. The call-in-only number is: (425) 436-6352 and the access code is 1729820.
Further, it is likely that this meeting will be broadcast by 1623 Studios over the local cable television network. Please check your cable listings for details if you are a Comcast cable television subscriber.
AGENDA – OPEN SESSION
6:00 p.m. Call to Order.
6:01 p.m. Ed Neal to discuss the Apple Street project.
6:05 p.m. Board of Public Works to discuss possible short term extension of solid waste contract with Covanta.
6:45 p.m. Thomas Starr of Northeastern University to discuss linked on-line content with respect to climate change signs in Essex.
Brendhan Zubricki: Presentation of his Town Administrator’s Report for the period September 24, 2022 through September 30, 2022, regarding the following:
• Final Preparation for Strategic Plan Revision Public Forum
• Safety Committee Meeting Summary and Loss Control Grant
• Solid Waste/Recycling Services Contract Update
• Route 133 Essex River Bridge Replacement Project Update
• Revised Draft of Fall Town Meeting Warrant
• Approve the weekly warrant in the amount of $.
• Approve the minutes for the Selectmen’s September 26, 2022, Open Meeting.
• Discussion regarding right of first refusal to purchase B.J. Frye property at 30 Apple Street. (Executive Session discussion is also possible.)
• Vote to approve the retiree healthcare renewal rates for calendar year 2023.
• Consider a request from the Building Inspector to increase the Building Inspector Clerk’s hourly wage from $22.07 to $24.57.
• Consider a request to transfer the seasonal lease for 130 Conomo Point Road (Map 108, Lot 65) from the Thayer W. Adams Revocable Trust to 130 Conomo Point LLC, Daniel K. Mayer, Trustee.
• Finalize position with respect to additional memorial benches at Conomo Point.
• Continue to make appointments to the Essex Municipal Affordable Housing Trust.
• Review correspondence from Sarah Cushing regarding her concerns about the Apple Street project.
• Items that could not be reasonably anticipated by the Open Meeting Law posting deadline.
• The Strategic Planning Committee will hold a virtual public forum regarding its draft update of the Essex Strategic Plan on Thursday, October 6, 2022, at 7:00 p.m.
• Wednesday, October 12, 2022, Ripple on the Water, Essex Division Cape Ann Chamber of Commerce, small business person of the year award, 5 to 7 p.m.
• Friday, October 21, Fall 2022 Greater Cape Ann Caucus, 11:45 a.m., Ipswich Town Hall, 25 Green Street.
• Saturday, October 22, Greater Cape Ann Chamber of Commerce, Clam Fest, between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. within the confines of Memorial Park.
• The next regular Board of Selectmen’s meeting will take place on Monday, October 24, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. in the 3rd floor auditorium of the Town Hall, 30 Martin Street.
• Essex Division, Greater Cape Ann Chamber of Commerce meeting will be Wednesday October 26 at 8:00 AM at the Essex Seafood Restaurant.
• Wednesday, November 2, 2022, at 10:00 a.m., presentation of Apple Street Roadbed Elevation and Culvert Replacement design and permitting project and public driving/walking tour of the Essex Causeway and the Apple Street project site (leaves from Senior Center at 10:30 a.m.).
• Wednesday, November 2, 2022, 7:00 p.m., Virtual Public Forum concerning the design and permitting project to elevate a short section of the Apple Street roadbed and to replace a substandard drainage culvert with a stream crossing under the road that meets Massachusetts Stream Crossing Standards.
• Ales Over ALS, Nathan Woodman, for use on Saturday, November 5, 2022, between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., within the confines of Centennial Grove.
AGENDA – EXECUTIVE SESSION
• Possible discussion regarding right of first refusal to purchase B.J. Frye property at 30 Apple Street.