Selectmen’s Meeting August 10, 2020
Town Hall, 2nd Floor Stage Conference Area, 30 Martin Street
Pursuant to Governor Baker’s March 12, 2020 Order Suspending Certain Provisions of the Open Meeting Law, G.L. c. 30A, §18, and the Governor’s March 15, 2020 Order imposing strict limitation on the number of people that may gather in one place, this meeting will be conducted via remote participation to the greatest extent possible. Specific information and the general guidelines for remote participation by members of the public and/or parties with a right and/or requirement to attend this meeting can be found on the town’s website, at www.essexma.org. For this meeting, members of the public who wish to listen to the meeting may do so via Conference Call. No in-person attendance of members of the public will be permitted, but every effort will be made to ensure that the public can adequately access the proceedings in real time, via technological means. In the event that we are unable to do so, despite best efforts, we will post on the town’s website an audio or video recording, transcript, or other comprehensive record of proceedings as soon as possible after the meeting. The call-in number will be: 717-275-8940. The access code is: 8378315. Please mute your phones. If you do not have a mute button, press *6 (star 6) to mute and unmute from a landline phone.
AGENDA – OPEN SESSION
6:00 p.m. Public Comment. Please email comments to Town Administrator Brendhan Zubricki: firstname.lastname@example.org Your comments will be read from time to time throughout the meeting. If your comment relates to an agenda item, please note that in the email subject line.
6:10 p.m. Executive Session pursuant the G.L. c. 30A, §21(a)(3) to discuss potential litigation with respect to an event at the Riversbend Restaurant property on August 8, 2020, if discussing the matter in open session will have a detrimental effect on the Town’s litigating position and the Chair so declares.
6:45 p.m. Chief of Police and Harbormaster to participate in the consideration of the development of a Work Plan and Standard Operating Procedures for the Harbormaster Department (in a fashion similar to policies and procedures already in place for the Police Department, Fire Department, and Shellfish Department), review preliminary draft.
Brendhan Zubricki: Presentation of his Town Administrator’s Report for the period July 25, 2020 through August 7, 2020, regarding the following:
• Public Safety Facility Construction Project Update
• Feedback from Departments with Respect to Budgetary Savings in FY21
• Continued Review and Crafting of Marijuana Industry Regulations
• Finalization of Marijuana Host Community Agreements with BB Botanics
• Further Review of Potential Fall Town Meeting Topics
• Approve the weekly warrant in the amount of $.
• Vote to exempt from Section 20 of Chapter 268A of the General Laws, the contracts and amounts for the individuals listed below contained within the 07/30/2020 warrant pursuant to subsection (d) of said Section.
NAME VENDOR DATE AMOUNT DEPT’S BILL
Jim McNeilly McNeilly EMS 07/20/2020 $ 500.00 Fire
• Vote to exempt from Section 20 of Chapter 268A of the General Laws, the contracts and amounts for the individuals listed below contained within the 08/06/2020 warrant pursuant to subsection (d) of said Section.
NAME VENDOR DATE AMOUNT DEPT’S BILL
Ernie Nieberle Nieberle’s 07/24/2020 $ 264.45 Fire
• Approve the minutes for the Selectmen’s July 27, 2020, Open Meeting and Executive Session.
• Vote to approve and sign the Warrant for the 2020 State Primary Election.
• Accept an AFG-S Grant of $2,926.67 to the Essex Fire Department for emergency protective equipment and disinfection supplies, paperwork to be signed outside of a meeting if not available at meeting time.
• Conomo Point: Consider a request to add J.C. Devries to the lease for 17 Middle Road.
• Review, approve, and sign a deed conveying 96 Conomo Point Road (Map 110, Lot 27) to Alfred Landry.
• General consideration of whether directional signs for private businesses should be allowed, by permit, on Town property, including traffic islands. Review examples of such signs from other communities.
• Discussion regarding the possible prohibition of non-shellfish commercial launching at the Town Landing and an increase to the parking fine for parking illegally at Memorial Park during the prohibition of non-resident launching at the Town Landing.
• Discuss proposed State legislation with respect to police officer and departmental proposed reforms.
• Consider the adoption of new license application forms concerning both permanent and one-day entertainment licenses and consider increasing the fee for one-day licenses.
• Discussion with respect to whether the Board and/or Town Meeting should establish a separate licensing requirement for any commercial establishment/property to offer to organize and hold weddings and/or wedding receptions.
• Items that could not be reasonably anticipated by the Open Meeting Law posting deadline:
Consideration of complaint-based allegations that the Riversbend Restaurant held a function or functions on August 8, 2020 that may have been in violation of current COVID-19 restrictions set by the Commonwealth, and/or in violation of entertainment licensing rules, and/or in violation of alcohol service rules, and/or contrary to a written statement from the establishment stating that such events would not be happening this calendar year, with discussion and possible vote to initiate process for disciplinary action.
Commercial Shellfish Permit:
• Taylor Burbine
APPOINTMENTS: Ratification of the appointment of Mark Renzi to the Finance Committee for 3 years, ending 6/30/23.
• The next regular Board of Selectmen’s meeting will take place on Monday, August 24, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. in the 2nd Floor Stage Conference Area of the Town Hall, 30 Martin Street.
AGENDA – EXECUTIVE SESSION
• Executive Session pursuant the G.L. c. 30A, §21(a)(3) to discuss potential litigation with respect to an event at the Riversbend Restaurant property on August 8, 2020, if discussing the matter in open session will have a detrimental effect on the Town’s litigating position and the Chair so declares.