Selectmen’s Meeting November 16, 2020
Town Hall, 3rd Floor Auditorium, 30 Martin Street
Pursuant to Governor Baker’s March 12, 2020 Order Suspending Certain Provisions of the Open Meeting Law, G.L. c. 30A, §18, and the Governor’s March 15, 2020 Order imposing strict limitation on the number of people that may gather in one place, this meeting will be conducted via remote participation to the greatest extent possible. Specific information and the general guidelines for remote participation by members of the public and/or parties with a right and/or requirement to attend this meeting can be found on the town’s website, at www.essexma.org. For this meeting, members of the public who wish to listen to and/or view the meeting may do so via Video Call (with the option to show yourself on video or not and with the option to use a phone to call in, for audio-only). No in-person attendance of members of the public will be permitted, but every effort will be made to ensure that the public can adequately access the proceedings in real time, via technological means. In the event that we are unable to do so using the tools discussed below, despite best efforts, we will post on the town’s website an audio or video recording, transcript, or other comprehensive record of proceedings as soon as possible after the meeting.
The link to get to the video conference is: https://join.freeconferencecall.com/bzubricki, and, if prompted, the on-line meeting ID is bzubricki. Depending on your device and software installed, you may be able to join directly, by web browser, or, you may have to download the application directly (you will be shown that choice when you go to the above link). You should be joined in mute mode. However, if that is not the case, please click on the audio icon to mute your microphone. You can choose to activate your camera to show yourself, or not. The camera should be off, by default, when you join.
If you do not have a digital device to join via the link above, you can also dial a telephone number and be directly connected to the meeting, via audio only. The call-in-only number is: (425) 436-6352 and the access code is 1729820.
In the event that the video conferencing system fails for some reason, the meeting will be broadcast on a different conference call line, accessed by telephone only, as follows: 717-275-8940. The access code is: 8378315. PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS BACKUP PROTOCOL UNLESS THE METHODS IN THE TWO PRECEEDING PARAGRAPHS ARE NOT WORKING (NOT YOU JUST HAVING TROUBLE CONNECTING), SINCE THE BOARD WILL NOT BE MOVING TO THIS ALTERNATIVE NUMBER UNLESS THE PLATFORM FAILS FOR THE BOARD.
AGENDA – OPEN SESSION
6:00 p.m. Public Comment. Please email comments to Town Administrator Brendhan Zubricki: email@example.com Your comments will be read from time to time throughout the meeting. If your comment relates to an agenda item, please note that in the email subject line.
6:05 p.m. Board of Assessors Classification Hearing.
6:25 p.m. William Knovak – Oyster Update and Recommendations for the Winter Flats
6:30 p.m. Patrick Shea regarding seating at the restaurant.
7:00 p.m. Alan McCoy regarding a suggestion to consider acquisition of rights and the design and construction of a walking trail on the old railroad bed from Landing Road to the old Essex River crossing.
Brendhan Zubricki: Presentation of his Town Administrator’s Report for the period October 31, 2020 through November 13, 2020, regarding the following:
• Public Safety Building Construction Project Update
• Coordination of Chebacco Lake/Alewife Brook Environmental Issues
• Further Review of Draft Annual Town Meeting Topics
• Building Resilient Infrastructure and Communities Grant Application
• Approve the weekly warrant in the amount of $.
• Vote to exempt from Section 20 of Chapter 268A of the General Laws, the contracts and amounts for the individuals listed below contained within the 11/05/2020 warrant pursuant to subsection (d) of said Section.
NAME VENDOR DATE AMOUNT DEPT’S BILL
Jim McNeilly McNeilly EMS 10/18/2020 $ 464.00 Harbormaster
• Vote to exempt from Section 20 of Chapter 268A of the General Laws, the contracts and amounts for the individuals listed below contained within the 11/12/2020 warrant pursuant to subsection (d) of said Section.
NAME VENDOR DATE AMOUNT DEPT’S BILL
Ernie Nieberle Nieberle’s 10/24/2020 $ 99.00 Police
Ernie Nieberle Nieberle’s 10/24/2020 $ 74.40 Fire
David Pereen Pereen Plumbing 10/24/2020 $ 195.00 Board of Selectmen
Ernie Nieberle Nieberle’s 10/24/2020 $ 3,136.98 Fire
• Approve the minutes for the Selectmen’s November 2, 2020, Open Meeting and Executive Session.
• Ratify the Chairman’s signature on the Community Letter of Support for the North Shore Alliance for Economic Development.
• Consider a request from the Essex Fire Department to appoint Michael Puopolo to the position of Probationary Firefighter, contingent upon CORI check and medical screening.
• Consider a request from the Essex Fire Department, the Police Department, the Youth Commission, and Light Up Essex to have a Santa Parade on Sunday, December 20, 2020, starting at 2:00 p.m. Approve and sign the application to MassDOT for parade permission to pass over State roads.
• Vote to approve and sign the 2019 Emergency Management Preparedness Grant - Contract Amendment and Extension of existing $2,700.00 award. This will be used to purchase tables and chairs for the training room in the new public safety building.
• Vote to approve and sign the 2020 Emergency Management Preparedness Grant Application in the amount of $2,700.00. This will also be used to purchase tables and chairs for the training room.
• Vote to approve and sign the 2020 Volunteer Fire Assistance Grant (VFA) Application for equipment gear in the amount of $2,000.00. This will be used for the purchase of turnout gear.
• Vote to confirm participation in the MIIA Property, Liability and Workers’ Compensation programs for FY22 and FY23.
• Review a proposed Memorandum of Understanding between the Gloucester Board of Health and the Town of Essex.
• Items that could not be reasonably anticipated by the Open Meeting Law posting deadline.
Antiques License Renewals:
• Joseph Danna, Conomo Point Antiques, 166 R Eastern Avenue
• Anna Hardy Builds LLC, d/b/a In Home Design Center, 117 Eastern Avenue
• Tom Lang, Perim Lang Antiques, 18 Eastern Avenue
• Michael March, Blackwood March Antiques, 3 Southern Avenue
• A.P.H. Waller, A.P.H. Waller & Son, 140 Main Street
Class II License Renewals:
• Steven Pascucci, Cape Ann Auto Body, Inc., 19 Grove Street
• Scott Savory, Scott’s Auto Clinic, Inc., 6 Scot’s Way
• Scott Woodward, Pike Marine, Inc., 80 Main Street
Common Victualler License Renewals:
• Clifford Amero, Essex River Cruises & Charters, 35 Dodge Street
The next regular Board of Selectmen’s meeting will take place on Monday, November 30, 2020, at 6:00 p.m. in the 3rd Floor Auditorium at the Town Hall, 30 Martin Street.
AGENDA – EXECUTIVE SESSION - None.